Hey LOI Fam,
Welcome to March:
- Banks are stirring up trouble
- LOI's flying to Toronto to meet 150 of you
- Memes from the Oscars are filling your feed
- And loads of LOI founders are having a hell of a year
Toss your feet up, pause the Tik Tok, and let's dive in 👇
Pop Quiz: What do you get when 100s of young founders drop the Canadian humility and start sharing some of their wins? Answer: a fire Slack thread.
Take a gander at some of these wins:
- 🤯 Zach and Connor from Eigen Fitness launched a Kickstarter that got 100% funded in 68 mins.
- 🛒 Our community rallied around Lily Harper after Nordstrom closed was to help her find a new national partner
- 🍷 Dr. Collins Oghor got into Harvard (say hi to Mike Ross for us eh?)
- 🍿 Marissa from Spontivly spoke on the SXSW stage
- 👏 Bryn Davis (DOUBL) launched their product after years of prototyping
- 📰 Marley Alles (Rax) team was spotlighted in an article covering the top 5 dress rental companies in Canada
- 🚀 More mega wins: Matthew rebranded his startup, Zeeno won the #3 spot in the world on ProductHunt, Dyne was named Canada's top 15 Foodtech Startups, Maika dropped a crypto risk assessment tool, Akeeva rolled out an Obituary-Writer tool, Elevate ultimate pitched the producers of dragons den, 3Common onboarded it’s first 745 users, and WaiveTheWait was picked to go on to the finals in Princeton for a pitch competition.
And there's plentyyyyy more victories we didn't even mention. Jump into the Slack thread if you wanna read 'em.
Warning: it may get you more hyped than the last Caramel Macchiato you chugged before that pitch contest. #justsaying
Last week, we also had spontaneous meetups in Vancouver, lunch selfies sent to us from SXSW plus a free event announced with Microsoft in Toronto happening next month. Sign up if you missed it. We've got a few more seats.
Moral of the story: get out there and meet with the LOI community.
Some hidden treats about the Toronto event we're not telling the public:
- we're pulling together a great list of panellists that are LOI alumni
- we're trying to pull Microsoft's arm to team up on a fun product giveaway for us to raffle off in person
- the lunch and coffee is gonna be chef's kiss
- and *Melissa may be done her breakdancing lessons in time to present at intermission
Okay, we lied about that last one. But you get the point.
You're gonna wanna be there. 💃🏿
🤫 Spilling The LOI Tea
- 🎟 Simran Dhillon joined our team and is already drumming up an application process to get you FREE Collision Conference tickets. Slide into Simran's LinkedIn with a clever hello message if you haven't already.
- 🐉 The Marlow founders pitched Dragon's Den and have a selfie to prove it
- 👩💻 LOI Alumni and Forbes 30 under 30 Winner, Madison Guy, is hiring account execs and is ready to pay the right hire up to $100K to join their team. Email us for an intro if you, your cousin or peloton friend wants to learn more.
- 💻 Kunbal launched KinsoAI to help people find products that fit their needs using GPT. Test out his website here: kinsoai.com
- 🤩 Reusables successfully helped a Disney show avoid 5+ tons of waste and 18+ tons of carbon emissions and are now finalists in the Angels for Climate Solutions pitch comp by VEC!
- 💪 Typha Co. has been selected among the top 5 ag. tech ventures in Start up TNT’s latest pitch competition.
- 💸 Prishita and the Mosa team are pitching to win $25K next month
- ☑️ The co-founder of a lil' startup called Starbucks swung through our zoom screen last week [recap clip here that got 365 likes on IG]
- ☑️ Big thanks to Evan from Ram Canyon for dropping some authentic founder wisdom on us this week
- ☑️ We had a pre-dinner in Vancouver before attending the MFM event
- 💻 March 15th at 10am PST: Ben Sun, Co-founder of Primary, one of New York City's first seed funds and an early backer in Coupang which went public with an $84B market cap. RSVP here
- 👋 April 14th at 11am-2pm EST: U30 Founder Lunch and Panel: Hosted by Microsoft and LOI. RSVP here
- 👋 April 4th all day: we're piloting an LOI co-working day in Vancouver for local founders. Email us here if you'd like to join, limited space is available
🧐 Free Things To Try...
- 📈 Showcase your software product in a stronger way: LOI alumni, Joseph Lee, is beta testing a new startup idea called Supademo and wants to give some free tutorials to LOI folks. Got a software startup? He has a tool that lets you build interactive demos that can be embedded on your websites, blog posts, and emails. Check out his website here: supademo.com and send him an email if you're game to try it out
- 😮 Get a free intern this summer: LOI has partnered with Isempower (also in the Boost 2023 cohort) to connect LOI companies with international students. Sign up here or message Professor Ironside on slack.
🍿 Last But Not Least...
What shows are you watching these days?
- Last of Us?
- Ted Lasso?
- This new LOI documentary?
Let us know. We're always looking for more ways to stay relevant with our memes. And our boss may or may not know that we allocate five hours every Friday to stay on top of the latest episodes. So send us your reccos.
That's all for now, folks. 🥕
Side note, keep sending us your startup news and founder selfies. We wanna keep calling out your wins and sharing lessons along the way.
And be sure to reach out to the other LOI founders we mentioned today. Nobody bites at LOI. And 99% of us are likely to help if you use manners.
Except for this Manny guy. Not sure about him.
Always in your corner,
🖤 The LOI Fam
PS: This email's written by me, Joel. I’m the Head of Community aka your LOI concierge. If you have any q's, want an intro, or even need a Vancouver restaurant recco for a fancy investor hangout… hit me up with a reply.